Monday, November 12, 2007

aqui aqui! AFRICA

I am finally here! South Africa. The TOMS Shoes crew welcomed me with a standing O. I couldn't be happier to be in the company of friends and collegues.

I spent the last 48 hours nearly entirely alone. I missed my flight from Atlanta to Johanesbergh, S. Africa by TWO MINUTES. I had 10 friends on the flight and I called each of them and convinced them to stage a sit-in to buy me time to get to the flight. They ACTUALLY DID IT. One guy nearly pretended to go into shock.

By the end of the ridiculous episode, the airline stewards said if each of them didn't get on the plane they would retract their tickets with no refunds. Of course, my friends had to relent. They closed the door at 3:57. I arrived at 3:59. Begging, pleading, my arms flailing I cried "have some compassion and open the doors man!" The man said he had compassion the first time my crew protested but was now ready to call security on me if I didn't leave his sight immediately.

At least I know the TOMS crew is loyal.

The first 24 hours of my time alone I spent in a Comfornt Inn wishing I was sleeping on African dirt. Ah well, se la vi. It was a good time of introspection as I go from iPhone addict specializing in round the clock connectivity to the more quiet existence of a reader, writer and social observer.

This promises to be life changing two months. I am already digging deeper into my intellect and my insides as I attempt to see if I have the chops as a writer.

The TOMS crew is a rowdy bunch. We'lll go tomorrow into one of the most impoverished villages in all of South Africa. The people will be backbreaking, but this is where it becomes real.
If I truly believe in equality for all mankind, then these are the people I must call friends. I must know their story, their joy and their pain. Understand it in order to fight for it. I have been given access to circles unimaginable by these people and it is in those circles where their name must be heard.

Now I'm ranting.....

Can't wait to share this journey.

let love win.
sean d. carasso

4 comments:

lalbe said...

would've loved to have seen that sit-in.

Anonymous said...

Blake and the crew, I am so glad you made it safe and sound. I wish I was there to experience the blessings. Maybe next time.

Iman said...

sean, you never disappointment me.

Iman said...

minus the ment ;)