Thursday, November 1, 2007

Greetings from the airplane ride from LAX to Atlanta.

I am Candice, a TOMS volunteer and believer.

Six months ago when I met Blake in a Nordstrom’s store I had no idea that I would be sitting on an airplane headed to South Africa. Nor did I have any idea that I would have just organized 50+ people to join in this effort: the TOMS South Africa Shoe Drop. The second Shoe Drop in TOMS 18-month history and first in Africa.

With the amazing help of Gordon and his staff at Food4Africa.org we are preparing to put shoes on 50,000 brothers and sisters in this world and it will all start in about 24 hours. All I have been able to say to myself over the past 4 sleepless nights is “WOW”. Wow, wow and wow.

On our plane this morning (a nice early departure of 7:40AM- so early that one didn’t make it) we have Blake and myself as the only TOMS ‘staff’, we have some of our summer interns and the top TOMS sales person from Urban Outfitters (“lucky Andy”). We have Karina who has helped Blake from day one and Ken who will tirelessly film as we cry and sweat and learn and grow. We have Jan who applied online and is a wife and mother of two. We have TOMS sales representatives and I think I’ve just recruited the investment banker next to me to join us, too. No, we don’t have any room- we’re overbooked and just the way I like it!

And let’s not forget that as amazing a crew we have on the plane and those we’ll meet up with from the south and east coast (fans and boutique owners and fashion industry studs and studettes) I can’t stop thinking about the people back in the TOMS warehouse (or office if you will) who will keep it all running while we distribute the fruits of their labor. – Everyone will get their chance- every employee will eventually be on a Shoe Drop- but they are the people that make this possible. A big shout out to the special, special people who make sure the shoes are getting designed and made and shipped and sold and marketed and sold online and partnered with awesome organizations and the list goes on… and on… and on. Thank you to the TOMS family wherever they are today working…

The thing I think I am most excited about is spreading the love that 50,000 customers have given us to pass on. People who believe in TOMS and don’t give up on us and spread the word and donate their MySpace messages or birthday parties all in the name of TOMS. We, the young and old, parents and children, all colors and all religions, we have the power to do what we wish with the money we spend… and if you are reading this I personally thank you for probably giving some of that to a pair of TOMS.

I am going to be quite busy once we land in South Africa. I mean, if I have it my way everyone will be really busy… but not knowing how much time I will have to ‘blog’ (this is my first ever!)… I just want to thank you, the customers and supporters, again. And I need to especially thank those who have supported me while I’ve donated my time the last six months to this amazing company that is truly going to change lives… mom and dad and Kai and my brothers and all of our friends and loved ones who have purchased and donated to TOMS in your own special way. THANK YOU. From the bottom of my heart and until South Africa-

Love in TOMS, Candice

8 comments:

Al said...

Sounds really cool. Good luck, safe journey. We'll be thinking of you guys and watching the blog! Al and Robert

Gilbert said...

I'm SOOO excited! It is something so awesome to see work come full circle. I can't wait to hear all about it. I love you all/miss you all!

love,
emily gilbert

Unknown said...

Its amazing how your personality still shines through in a blog Candice. Have a safe, INCREDIBLE, and purposeful visit. We will be here when you guys get back

Laura Reaux said...

I don't even know you and I'm emotional for you. What an amazing journey. What a truly incredible thing you all are doing. I'm praying that everything goes smoothly for you guys. I will be following this blog.

I don't really know what's pulling me so much, but I want to be a part of this in some way one day. I truly feel grateful on behalf of all of the lives you are touching while you're there.

Blake Mycoskie said...

Can't wait to join you guys!!! See you Saturday!

Blake Mycoskie said...

that was evelina...apparently I'm TOMS shoes.

wnevak said...

Can-

I am so proud of you and everyone at Toms! You all are out there making such a big difference for many. It is inspiring. I will be praying that you all have a safe trip and I can not wait to hear about it all when you get back to the states.

Love,

Wen

michelle said...

2016 fashion toms shoes with many new style for you to choose.only $16.9,Get it immediately,http://www.tomshoesus.com
Toms Navy Orange Womens Classic Shoes
Black Womens Toms Canvas
White Womens Toms Canvas