Saturday, November 17, 2007

couple stories

Since we last spoke we have given away nearly 6,000 pairs of shoes.

Imagine that, just for a moment. 25 of us giving 6,000 shoes away. It can be both pure madness and sheer bliss.

We drove 5 hours into the most rural areas of southeastern S. Africa. The land here is breathtaking. It's as lush and green as any land I've ever seen. And the people are wasting away. They have nothing. They walk hours for water everyday and have very little education to advance their lives.

But there are these few saints who are here helping. There is 1 therapist in a 4 hour perimeter. There are educators and orphanage mothers and doctors who are out here doing an impossible mission with endless energy and heart. They stared me in the eyes and offered at once more faith in me and more challenge for my goals than anyone I've ever met. They are true heroes. Everyday, sweating, bleeding, crying heroes.

There are a couple moments worth remembering.

We were driving on this winding road up a mountain and when we stopped these boys came up to our window and begged for water. Of course we gave them our water and frantically began looking for shoes to give them. As it turned out, we had exactly two pairs of Toms in the car. We gave them to these boys through the window and asked them to try them on. Perfect fit. Their eyes went huge and they hugged eachother laughing. I couldn't help but cry and laugh at once as we drove away from their waves.

We went to a school for the handicapped and discovered it was the first school of its kind in the entire region. There are over 1,000 handicapped kids on record for this area and estimates suggest there are many many more thousands who are unaccounted for. 22 of them get to go to school. That is where we went. At some point there was a miscommunication and we only ended up with 2 sizes of shoes at the school. We were trying to make it work and I went to this one boy in a wheelchair who had, quite simply, the most horrific feet I've ever seen. It was obvious no person had touched his feet to clean them in many months. I had a moment of panic when I saw them and a compulsive need to cover them with shoes. The size 10 was so tight I couldn't get it on but that was all we had. When I looked up at the boy I realized that, though he couldn't speak, he wanted those shoes far worse than I wanted to give them. The internal panic was overwhelming as I stretched and pulled on the seems of this stupid shoe in order to make it fit. By the time it finally got on the feet my heart was beating out of my chest and I was covered in sweat. But I looked up and his eyes were as joyful as any I've ever seen.
I'll never forget that moment as long as I live.

There are many more stories to share and I'll keep them coming as long as you'll allow me into your inboxes.

I do love you all and miss you.

love wins.sean.

24 comments:

joel gutowsky said...

i like reading this blog. i hope that child with the horrific feet received my pair of shoes.

T-Bird said...

You guys are an inspiration - just reading this blog brings tears to my eyes. Your kindness and compassion will definitely make a difference in the many lives you touch throughout your trip. Keep well and safe.

Unknown said...

You guys never fail to put both tears of sadness and then tears of happiness

Christine Meintjes said...

Please can you guys let us know where we can get some toms!!! We live in South Africa and we can't find it any where!!

We've mailed you before but no reply...please let us know...thanx!!

Unknown said...

I don't think there are any sold right now in South Africa yet and they are working on international shipping soon

Allison said...

thanks for your compassion. it is inspiring.

Unknown said...

These stories bring tears to my eyes. This is so beautiful.

Cindy Mumford said...

I think that you might have met our daughter, Ali, on this stop. She is a junior at Brown Univeristy, but this semester has been participating in an SIT, home-stay, study abroad program in South Africa. It's definitely been an amazing, life-altering experience for her. This month, she's doing the independent study portion of her curriculum at a school for disabled kids and at a hospital, just three miles off the border of Swaziland. She is staying with a teacher from the school and the teacher told her that a group of Americans was not too far away at a school donating shoes and asked if she would like to go. She jumped at the opportunity and enjoyed so much spending time with you and meeting the musical group Hanson, who I guess are traveling with you and helping with the distribution (we have a lot of family in Oklahoma where they are from). She is determined to set the Brown campus on fire when she gets back there for the spring term and wants to get every student there wearing a pair of TOMS shoes and knowing our Ali, she'll do it. I intend to give a pair to our three kids, plus nieces and nephews, for Christmas and will be spreading the word around our little corner of Oregon. Thank you for what you do to make a difference in this world.

krystal. said...

breathtaking.

mike said...

Note to Cindy,

We definitely met Ali. Her work was equally inspiring to all of us. No doubt she will be instrumental in spreading the word of TOMS @ Brown. You should be very proud.

Micah Foster said...

Just found the blog! AWESOME...glad to hear the stories!

EmilyMarieKirk said...

I want to go! I will go! I can't wait to go!
Here I am, send me. I'm in Nursing School and God's called me to go to other nations...reading your stories is making me so impatient! :-)

Jackie Rose said...

Thank You!!
Thanks for the stories, for the inspiration, for the compassion...thank you for doing what you are doing!

Jackie

j.o.r.d.a.n. said...

wonderful. I read the blog to keep me mindful of how I can pay it forward. absolutely beautiful work yall are doing. love does win.

Anna said...

I love reading these stories. You guys are awesome!!! Keep up the good work. :)

Iman said...

beautiful.

LAR said...

I wonder if the people you encountered in that small African village believe they have nothing?

Unknown said...

I don't believe that they fell they have nothing. I think they are very simple in their needs for food, shelter, and protection; they are aware of when food is lacking but I think they can be more grateful for anything that they have...more so than ppl who have more

~K...rys..tel~ said...

i'm getting ready to buy my own pair of toms!!

Bracha said...

That first story- about the boys on the side of the street- let me say thats Divine intervention- NOT conicidence. Will you realize that it is G-D's hand and not just chance? G-D planned it for you to see. Open your eyes to all the miracles, everyone

Thomas Metz said...

Hi guys,

We met Sean in Jo'burg South Africa and it was amazing to hear about your initiative! It makes us proud to see how we people can change the world. It's such a source of inspiration to see how you can make one child a happier child. Imagine the feeling if you make thousands of children happier children.

Sean, the HIV/AIDS Mandela concert in Johannesburg was great. Let us know whenever you'll be in The Netherlands!

Sharp, South Africa found some new heroes,

TM

Nikki said...

This is amazing. I just sent the company an email- I would love to get involved and help with this as much as I can!

Nikki
ncochrane3@hotmail.com
www.heroholiday07.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Buy Rolex Replica At http://www.easyforbuy.com
High Quality Rolex Replica Watches: There is a lot of variance in different types of Rolex Replica watches.



High Quality Rolex Replica Watches: There is a lot of variance in different types of Rolex Replica watches. There are the high quality Swiss Rolex Replica watches and then there are the lesser quality Chinese Rolex replica watches. We only provide high quality Swiss replica watches, because of their high quality and durability. Many people buy a Rolex replica watch for several different reasons. Some people may want to keep their genuine Rolex watch safely hidden, and wear a replica watch while going out. Some people simply want a genuine look without having to spend the thousands it may cost to own a real Rolex watch. Whatever the case may be you can find what you are looking for here, we sell hundreds of replica watches that are made with exquisite craftsmanship and gorgeous!

Buy Rolex Replica
http://www.easyforbuy.com

Sheepskin Boots said...

Ahh very nice story really.Fills me up with emotions.

( www.bootsso.com )