Monday, November 12, 2007

Mission Realized

Yeaterday was the first day of our group's South Africa Shoe Drop and what a day it was. The day was so full of conflicted feelings and challenges and joy. From the plane ride in, I was faced with doubts from others about what we're doing and what impact it has. People questioned me about who we were giving shoes to and what difference that would make. After seeing first-hand the kind of poverty that the people we visited live in, I was pretty shook about how we can honestly make their situation better.

That all ended when we gave away the first shoes. Nothing can compare to the feeling I had when I gave away my first pair. Kids with nothing were so happy to be be with us and play. Their laughter and smiles in the face of their day to day puts the kind of life we lead into a very clear perspective. Something about the children in this place and the way they interact with us just gives me so much HOPE. These kids are the future of their villages and they are growing up with nothing. We have to do something to help them out soon and we can turn their whole future around. School fees, shoes, medicine, something. Food4Africa is amazing. These 4 people feed 15,000 kids a day and take almost nothing for themselves. They live how we all should and it is very, very inspiring. Please go to their website and get involved.

I did some reading on the way over that has had a big impact on the way I view our mission and TOMS.

The quote comes from a speech that Bobby Kennedy gave in South Africa in 1966:

"Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes our against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiestwalls of oppression and resistance."

All for now.

Peace.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Mike,

This is amazing. Your writing is clear and meaningful.

You deserve this feeling of hope you are experiencing. TOMS deserves it.

You don't need to ever doubt this cause - it is one as true as they come. It not only gives hope to those who are receiving these shoes, but it really does, as the Kennedy quote states, "sends a ripple of hope."

It sends hope for a change in the entire market. My Econ final essay is essentially about TOMS. It is about how companies do not have to be socially blind entities.

I would like to thank you and all of the TOMS family for providing me with such insight and of course, hope.

Best,

Steve-Z

joel gutowsky said...

i love TOMS. im wearing mine right now in the hope that today will be the day a child is given the pair of shoes that i paid for.

Hajime said...

Nice post Mike. Cant wait to hear more about the trip

amymack said...

Mike the office isn't the same without you, but I am so stoked that you are experiencing this. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. Keep it coming.

Laura Reaux said...

I can't thank you all enough for sharing this experience with us. It makes me feel like, even though I don't know any of you, I am able to be with you in spirit. I'm praying for an all-around amazing experience for you guys.

Unknown said...

wow Mike...you are my hero...I can't think of a more deserving person to have gone on the shoe drop

Gilbert said...

Mike,
I am SO glad that you are getting to be there. I know that you are taking it in for all of us. Send my love and a pair of shoes to some kids for me. I miss you, and I can't wait to hear more about the drop.

Emily

ps: please show them the thizz face.

Truth Be Told said...

nice post indeed, I look forward to hearing about more of your TOMS experience :)

Morgan said...

TOMS are a part of everyday life here at UGA, thanks to Lindsay Lamphere-- who introduced us all to them. Everyone's talking about them and spreading the word about what y'all are doing to help change the world... keep the posts coming!

Unknown said...

so inspiring. thank you for keeping us updated and for reaffirming the existing passion and hope in the TOMS mission and just making a difference in the world in general! the Style your Soles have been amazing, by the way.
told SteveBob to read this too, by the way :)

MISS YOU!!

the go to girl said...

great words! u are beautiful, wonderful people doing life changing work. unbelievable u would question your purpose. amazing how insecurity can set in even when giving. using the gifts the talents and love u have to share with these people. IMPACTFUL! you've touched lives, that's what its all about.

i luv the quote i'm gonna steal it!

much luv to you all! good on you

Anne said...

Where can we see pictures from the South Africa shoe drop? My daughter, who is eleven and loves your shoes and what you do for children, would love to see pictures from this shoe drop.

Big Hed said...

what a beautifully written and inspired entry.

my entire family is getting toms for christmas :)

Unknown said...

You can see some pictures of the South Africa shoe drop at www.flickr.com/ugaseetheworld
this was taken by one of the lovely summer interns

Curtis Honeycutt said...

I love what you guys and girls are doing. I am going to order a pair of Tom's and then link to Tom's website on my college ministry's blog site... accessinterns.wordpress.com

Keep up the good work!

michelle said...

2016 fashion toms shoes with many new style for you to choose.only $16.9,Get it immediately,http://www.tomshoesus.com
Toms New Arrival Octopus Canvas Shoes Grey
New Arrival Toms Shoes Rose
Toms Women Linen Stripe Shoes Beige