Sunday, November 4, 2007

First Shoe Drop Experience

As we loaded the vans for the first SA shoe distribution I was struck by the stark reality of SA's poverty as I saw the shacks and the dirty townships in fields. Gordon, Food 4 Africa founder, our driver, our leader, our historian, tells us that AIDS is at epidemic levels in SA. Children losing their mothers, their fathers, their brothers and sisters to the deadly disease. Brothers and sisters raising the younger ones as mothers die to the raging disease. The country's belly is swollen by AIDS and AIDS takes no prisoners. AIDS kills all in its path. As the van drives down the red clay rut ridden road children run alongside the van, others wave and in the distance ahead I could see hundreds and hundreds of children waiting, dreaming of a NEW pair of shoes. Bending down on the red clay road, I slipped off a little girl's shoe. She watched and eyed the bright pink pair of TOMS I had in my hand. Her little black foot was sweaty from wearing an old holey pair of shoes, too small for her feet. I slipped the shoe on her foot, but it was tight. I could see she was surprised when I told her, I was going to get a pair that fit her. I reached in my bag and pulled out the next size up which I slipped on her feet. They fit and a big smile appeared on her beautiful face. I stood up handed her the old shoes and gave her a big hug. I held her and thought: This gift of TOMS to this child is an even greater gift to me......

7 comments:

Laura Reaux said...

The story of only one smile touched my heart. I can only imagine what this entire experience will do for you guys there. Thanks for sharing.

mike said...

Traveling that great distance, hassles @ every step of the way, Personal inconveiences too many to count and so much more was undoubtably forgotten @ that moment. Yes, the gift will be to you and to many others you will influence when you return to the USA having had this experience. Life, and the way you look @ life, will never be the same.

Sull said...

I'm trying to figure what goes on that people's mind... because what we feel is sooooooo good - as you are telling us - that I can't imagine what they feel, what they think.. it's so untouchable for me (does this word exist in English?? it does in Portuguese hahah)

I really want have those feellins again... it's like you want to feel it over and over again, isn't it?!

God bless you all and the whole shoe drop =)

Rachel said...

Your final comment on this post is moving. It's energizing as well. Most of all, it's simply refreshing. I worry so often about people on these great missions: bringing "things" to those less fortunate. It's that humility to know that we're not just above everyone, doing good for them, that we learn from others, that others give us hope, that we're all equal in the world in not just our existance as people together, but in our ability to move, touch, and give to others.

It's phenominal to read this from you. It makes me support your work, which I admit I was hesitant about when I first heard of it. Thanks for what you're doing.

Unknown said...

Jan, Marge just gave me this web site and it is exciting to see what you are doing. What a wonderful trip! I will want to hear all about it in several weeks.
Becca Brandt

Unknown said...

Your blog made my eyes teary from happiness and sadness at the same time...continue to help change the world!

Kristen said...

Your blog has really touched and inspired me. I wish with all my heart I could be there with you guys and lend a helping hand. I would love to be able to one day help the world the way you are! Please never stop what you are doing! Who knows maybe one day I too can help make this world a better place!